Walk No. 134
Bretherton Walk 23-
The week leading up to our Sunday walk contradicted the weather forecasters, producing both good temperatures and bright sunshine. Sunday was a bit cooler and thus ideal for walking, with the threat of rain during the evening, which would be long after our finish. 13 of our regulars met at the War Memorial sited at the junction of Carr House Lane and Eyes Lane at 1.45p.m. Setting off towards Back Lane we branched right which led us to a long tree lined drive, which in due course brought us to the fenced off site of Bank Hall which was clearly the subject of considerable re-
Bank Hall is a Grade II listed building, a mixture of Jacobean and Georgian Gothic style, built on the site of an older house in 1608, becoming the Manorial home of the Bannister (Banastre) family, whose ancestors came from Normandy with William the Conqueror. Extensions were added in 1832-
Turning off the drive to the left took us over 2 stiles to reach the main A 59 Liverpool Rd and continue towards Tarleton. Crossing the well-
Continuing along Sollom Lane and Eyes Lane took us over Red Bridge which spanned the canal, (although it was actually green), until we turned right along a path between two wheat fields towards a cluster of wind turbines in the distance. At the end of the field the path (Broad Meadow Lane) angled left and ultimately brought us to cross Back Lane into Thornfield. It was while passing a series of puddles that disturbances on the surface were noted. The suggestion that this could be raindrops was met with disapproval from our leader who insisted it was just flies. Notwithstanding the explanation a couple of our number did adopt their coats.
Crossing another junction led us down a narrow footpath between two fences over run with brambles, nettles and other obstacles, until reaching the main road where we turned left. Passing Ebeneezer Congregational Church on our right, which dates back to 1819 and the old Methodist Chapel with its foundation stone laid by Ellen Dandy dating back to1883 and now
converted to a residential dwelling. A short distance further returned us to our starting position.
With the exception of the few drops we had escaped any rain and as promised the walk had been completely flat covering a distance of just under 4.5Mls. We had enjoyed the companionship and thank the organiser for his continued endeavours in researching walks of variety and interest.