Midge Walkers

Walk  No. 104

Contents page

Rivington Walk & Anglezarke Moor

Following a week during which the weather had been anything but good, the forecast for Sunday 4th June was surprisingly good. 12 adults and Molly the dog met at the Go Ape car park and set off at 14.10, taking a path through a tree lined route with sight of Lower Rivington Reservoir to our left, and after a short time, past the Pre-School building on our right to emerge onto Horrobin Lane where we veered slightly to the left and crossed into a stony track. Taking an uphill coarse brought us to the Yarrow Reservoir on our right with magnificent views of the Lower Rivington Reservoir and beyond to our left.

Turning right at the corner of the reservoir onto Parson’s Bullough Rd to its junction with Hodge Brow, we took a route to the right to cross a stile and into a field to start climbing an incline towards Jepson’s Gate. Over the brow of the hill, the path now took us down to a kissing gate and over another field to a ladder stile, to a path where we turned right.

Clear views of Winter Hill with its distinctive masts could be seen as we continued the route to another stile and made our way down towards another kissing gate which brought us to a stone memorial. This was to commemorate the crash of a Wellington Bomber engaged on a training exercise on the 16th November 1943, with the resultant loss of life of all 6 crew members, which included the 24 year old Australian pilot Joseph B.Timperon. It was at this site we stopped for our coffee break.

Resuming the walk took us down a steep stepped route through the trees to a kissing gate and over a stream to take a pathway to the right and ultimately re-emerge at the end of the Yarrow reservoir and the road crossing the Alance Bridge to the left. Climbing the steep incline, we left the road via a kissing gate to the right and crossed a series of fields linked with stiles to arrive at a made-up road which we followed to reach a path to the left. Taking this route, and after a short distance climbing a flight of stone steps, brought us to cross a field and exit through a kissing gate on to a road opposite the Unitarian Chapel with its date plaque of 1703 and the village green with a set of stocks, where we paused for photographs. From here we followed the path skirting the road to return to our starting point.

An analysis of the 4.7 mile walk, and the 2 hour 40 mins time, concluded that this had been a very picturesque and enjoyable walk resulting in great enjoyment to all and our thanks are recorded to the organizers.