Walk No. 84
Cuerden Valley Walk
This walk was a substitute for our original planned route, aborted due to adverse walking conditions albeit one which had been in part completed before and as such reported on at the time.
11 adults, 2 juniors and Molly the dog assembled in the car park at the bottom of Kem Mill Lane, Whittle le Woods, immediately being faced with the complications of the pay and display machine. The walk started at 2.10.pm and followed a path between two fields and a subsequent tree lined route emerging into the grounds of Lisieux Hall which had formerly been Croft Hall prior to being acquired by the Brothers of Charity.
Our route now followed a lane until turning right towards the ex sand quarry, now being used as a tip, took us round the outer perimeter on a muddy path, arriving at Clayton Hall displaying a date plaque of 1152 and now being used as a livery stable. Continuing along the lane brought us to the estate at Clayton Spring Meadows and Old Lancaster Lane where we crossed into Shady Lane and continued until turning in towards the Cuerden Visitor Centre and Barn and to the rear of the Sue Ryder Home.
After dropping into the valley and finding suitable benches, we stopped for our refreshment break.
It wasn’t long after resuming our walk that the weather started to take a hand and everyone who anticipated the chance of adverse conditions, took advantage of their protective clothing. Undaunted the route took us past the site of the original Lower Kem Mill dating back to 1714, and plaques on the remaining brickwork supplied history which included a report of the fire of 1914, destroying the site and putting 180 employees out of work.
Continuing along the made up path returned us to our starting point and despite the weather, had once again been an opportunity to share each others company and participate in a little exercise which we are always assured does us good